The History of Southington Country Club
In July, 1922, Samuel J. Cook, John Higgins, Frank D. Taylor, Jr., William M. Degnan and Allen P. Parker and a few other would be golf enthusiasts of the town, succeeded in inducing Edwin S. Todd, to accept chairmanship of a committee to provide ways and means for a golf course in Southington. On Aug. 4, 1922 a holding company styled the Parsons Golf corporation was incorporated ,and organized with the following officers: President, Edwin S. Todd ; vice-president, Luke E,. Fichthorn; secretary, Henry B. Armstrong; treasurer, Southington Bank & Trust company.
At about the same time the Southington Country Club was formed and later incorporated with the following officers: President, Oscar G. Knapp; vice-president, Frank D. Taylor, jr.; treasurer, Robert G. Simpson; secretary, Henry B. Armstrong. House committee—Frank D. Taylor, jr., chairman; Wm. Degnan, Miss Minnie C. Welch and Mrs. Edwin S Todd. Grounds committee—Samuel J. Cook, chairman ; Allen F’ Parker, Allan G. Upson, Henry P. Kniskern. Golf captain— John Higgins.
A ninety-acre tract known as the Webster farm, located in the South End district of the town was immediately leased of Miss Frederica Parsons under a long term contract by the Parsons Golf corporation and the building of a 9-hole golf course began at once. Temporary greens were hurriedly prepared and on Labor Day 1922, a golf tournament was played by the members of the club. In October 1922, a contract was let for the construction of a club house made of rubble stone taken from the stone walls on the farm which was completed in 1923.
Southington is fortunate in having such a wonderfully fine spot for a club house and golf course as the members of the club now enjoy, it being especially attractive on the east by the overshadowing hanging hills.
The club has a membership of over 200, including members living in Waterbury, Meriden and Cheshire.
Timlow’s History of Southington, edited 50 years ago and printed in 1875, says of “South End:” “This was once a flourishing section of the town and embraces the street running from the South Burying Ground (South End Cemetery) to the Cheshire line. The village was built up along the original twenty rod highway. Before 1780 there was a grist mill there and soon after a saw mill erected. It was here that corn was ground and kiln dried for the West India market. There was also a store that was for several years carried on successfully. At one time a large portion of the wealth and social position of the town was on this street (South End road.)”
The present generation, why not to its credit, is unlike our ancestral forefathers in fortunately discovering this choice spot to frequent and spend a little time in exercise and play in the interests of humanity and particularly the welfare of the community of Southington and its environs.
Fully Illustrated, COMPILED BY FRANCIS ATWATER,
41 Dwight Rt., New Haven, Conn. 1924.
Ex-SENATOR FRANCIS ATWATER
Printer, Publisher, Editor, Author of Several History and Genealogies, Founder of Newspapers, Railroad Builder, Organizer of Banks and Industrial Companies, Extensive Traveler and Compiler of This History